We’re on the move. Watch for new juxtapositions, fresh interpretation, and new ways of engaging with the Walters collections.
This summer, beginning June 23, the galleries housing 19th-century art on the fourth floor of the Centre Street building will be closed for reinstallation. The fourth floor will reopen October 26 with a new installation focused on the life and legacy of the museum’s founders, William T. (1819–1894) and Henry (1848–1931) Walters. Special member hours will be Thursday, October 23, from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturday, October 25, from 5 to 10 p.m.
The North-side Galleries of the Palazzo will be open for visitors until Sunday, June 22, 2014, when they will close for reinstallation. This includes the treasury, European porcelain, and French art galleries.
Beginning July 1 and continuing through 2016, the Walters will temporarily empty the galleries of art in Hackerman House to repair and update fire safety and climate control systems. This $5.5 million refurbishment, for which the State of Maryland and City of Baltimore have provided lead funding, matched by private contributions, is the first of several planned enhancements to the Walters’ five-building campus. A number of the magnificent works of Asian art collected by William and Henry Walters, and supplemented by generous gifts of South Asian, Himalayan, and Southeast Asian Art, will be moved into other areas of the museum, including the new installation opening in October.
See these galleries before they close temporarily. Guided tours of the galleries are scheduled in May and June. Our online collection will continue to display artworks from the general collection, with up-to-date information about each artwork’s location.